Tuesday, March 3, 2009

And the Job Market Can Suck It

I recently lost my job - like so many others these days - and it kind of sucks.

Don't get me wrong, the days that I feel the freedom to embrace my jobless life are beautiful. I go to the beach, I paint, I meet friends for lunch or coffee (and they pay!), I read all day; it's like being on vacation in my own city.

And then I pay my bills and commence freaking out. The freak outs also happen on a weekly basis when I'm looking for employment. I quickly realized that it is not in the best interest of my emotional/mental state to look for a job everyday. That, my friends, is how people spiral into depression. Instead, I look once a week. The same day every week and on average, I apply for 1-2 jobs during that time. What's really sad is I'm not even being picky. At first I was like, "I'm not taking some bullshit entry level job. I have my masters, bitches." And then I saw what was out there and I was like, "janitorial work, here I come." But there aren't even janitorial positions open. Fuck.

I guess the good news is that I've had time to really invest in my new blog. But as you can see, I only have 2 followers.. I guess that's not really paying off either. But you should definitely go check out the blogs of my 2 followers - they're great writers and they're hot. Well, I don't know if they're hot, but in my imagination they are totally do-able. (Hot #1, Hot #2)

I'm starting to think of all the things I can sell - books, clothes, my cat, that treadmill that's been collecting dust in my garage for, like, 2 years. But then I remember no one is really buying things because they all just got laid off too. Fuckity fuck.

I'm really hoping something pans out soon because I don't know how much more of this I can take. Having my days completely free would be much nicer if I was independently wealthy (which includes the option of having a sugar daddy), but I'm not. Each day that passes pushes me closer and closer to the poverty line.

Even though this season of my life is less than desirable, I have learned many valuable things - like how to scrimp and save, what things are really important in my life, and how much money I just threw away when I had it. Maybe a lot of people say this when they're down and out, but I really hope that when (if?) I get a job I continue to choose to help others. Regardless of circumstance, we need each other and I think it's easy to forget that when times are "good."

So I guess on that note, I'd like to challenge you (all two of you!) to give back if you can. And no, I don't mean send me a check .. though that would be nice .. but if you have a consistent income and can spare even $10 a month that would be helpful to someone who is going through a difficult time. Or it would be helpful to a nonprofit that is working to help those in need.

Anyhow, that's my rant for the day. May we always meet each other with compassion and love.

3 comments:

  1. Found you via 20SB. Thanks for adding me!

    There are so many ways to start that spiral into depression, but I don't think you're on your way down. Sounds like you're keeping things in perspective.

    I'll pray for your independent wealth, and we'll see what you get!

    I'm sure you will get a job offer soon enough. You're obviously intelligent, and you're out there searching. That's the key.

    I work for a nonprofit, and I agree. Every little bit counts. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you didn't invite me. I invited you. There's a comment on my 20sb page to prove it.

    I'm unsure why you chose to comment on my blog. Perhaps because you think it's silly like most people would.

    I don't have a job either, but I live with my parents. I'm trying to work out a deal with God to keep me alive. He's not being very forthcoming though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Heather. Your intelligence comes through in your writing, and intelligent people are forever in short supply. You'll find work soon. Till then, I think you have the right attitude about it.

    And, thank you. Our imaginations should get together sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete